ComplexUs is a Think Tank focused on Improving the Lives of those Affected by Complex Neurodisability
Led by experts in the field, all of whom have lived experience in being primary caregivers, ComplexUs has an inside-out approach to policy making. Starting with lived experience, they promote and lead research which helps develop economically robust, creative solutions that add value and improve the lives of those affected by complex neurodisability.
WHO WE ARE
We are specialists in our professional fields and experts by experience as primary caregivers for people with complex neurodisability*.
We are a driving force for meaningful change for people with complex neurodisability who require the highest levels of care and support and rely on others to advocate for them.
We are a collective voice working in partnership with practitioners, commissioners and policy makers to pioneer credible solutions to a system which is not currently fit for purpose.
We recognise the financial benefits to ‘getting it right’. People with complex neurodisability make up less than 0.1% of the population but consume more than 5% of the total paediatric healthcare budget.
VISION AND MISSION
People with complex neurodisability have the shortest life expectancy of any group in the UK, their disability compounded by other factors of marginalisation.
Tired of failed, disjointed, top-down approaches, we are creating our own grassroots, practical, solution-based alternatives which are founded on true life experience. We work to influence policy, legislation and practice to raise expectations for people with complex neurodisability and their families, from birth onwards.
We will highlight issues affecting those impacted by complex neurodisability to bring about transformational change using,
- Our shared stories and lived experience
- Robust data and evidence
- Creative solutions which include economic considerations
- We will always add value, never duplicate what has gone before and focus on best practice.
WE WILL DELIVER ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING PRINCIPLES:
- Holding the joy of loving a person with complex
- Being solution focused and curators of positive
- Committed to seeking out and amplifying diverse and seldom heard perspectives.
- Driving improvements in systems, structures and practices as well as principles, ideology and theory.
- Always considering the economic impact and promoting realistic sustainable change.
- Highlighting and correcting the power imbalance between services (those with authority) and families (those carrying daily responsibility).
ComplexUs Executive Board is made up of women who are parents of people with complex neurodisability.